Perinatology is the sub-department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, dealing with high-risk pregnancies.
Approximately 10% of pregnancies are categorized as high-risk pregnancies due to being more susceptible to producing unfavorable results. It is possible to foresee risks from the start of the discovery of a pregnancy and perform or provide the necessary interventions and medical treatments in order to diminish the risk of unfavorable outcomes. It is of utmost importance for both the mother and the fetus to perform a comprehensive evaluation prior to planning a conception or during pregnancy.
Should any problem be discovered during your pregnancy, we’d be glad to provide you with all the opportunities modern medicine has to offer with a proof-based approach.
Fields of Diagnosis and Treatment of Perinatology
- Early diagnosis of fetal abnormalities
- Screening for chromosomal abnormalities
- Prediction and prevention of preeclampsia
- Prediction and prevention of preterm birth
- Management of cervical insufficiency (cervical cerclage)
- Management of fetal developmental delay
- Management of diabetes discovered during pregnancy
- Management of diseases of mother during pregnancy
- Monitoring of multiple pregnancies
- Detailed fetal ultrasonography
- 4 dimensional ultrasonography (4D USG)
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Intrauterine fetal blood transfusion
- Management of placental adhesion abnormalities (cesarian scar pregnancy – placenta accreta – percreta)
Are the main subjects the perinatology department deals with.
Perinatology specialists receive 3 years of subspecialty training in management of high-risk pregnancies after specializing in obstetrics and gynecology.